Robin Williams. A beautiful soul who’s life was cut far too short.
His roles helped to shape the childhoods of many, mine own included.
Take the Genie, for example.
Although, selfish at times, so many lessons can be pulled from this phenomenal cosmic power trapped in that itty bitty living space.
- Feeling sheepish? Learn to say “I’m sorry”.
- Tell..her…the…truth! Heartache and trouble can be avoided if you just tell the truth from the get go.
- Ten thousand years will give you such a crick in the neck! Relax. Get up & stretch the feet a little. Don’t get so busy slaving away that you forget to chill out.
- Today’s special moments are tomorrow’s memories.
Or how about Patch…
- If you focus on the problem, you can’t see the solution.
Instead of dwelling on the problem, focus on finding the solution.
- Instead of locking yourself up in your cage of fears and crying over past heartaches, embarrassment, and failures – treat them as your teachers for self-improvement and success. The seeds to success are built into our failures. Help them grow into something bigger.
- You have the ability to keep me from graduating. You can keep me from getting the title and the white coat. But you can’t control my spirit, gentlemen. Be the captain of your own destiny.
- The most radical act anyone can commit is to be happy.
As (the greatest) Peter Pan…
His role showed us the importance of happiness, imagination and acting selflessly.
- All you have to do is think one happy thought, and you’ll fly like me.
- To live…to live would be an awfully big adventure.
As Alan Parrish in Jumanji
His role teaches the invaluable lesson that even when times are tough, you must keep going.
- Crying never helped anybody do anything, okay? You have a problem you face it like a man.
There are just so many wonderful things about this movie…some of my favorite lines include:
- I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way.
- You must strive to find your own voice because the longer you wait to begin the less likely you are to find it all.
- Carpe Diem. Seize the day boys.
Make your life extraordinary.
And Sean Maguire in Goodwill Hunting
And from the man himself…
Sadly, his final lesson…
Depression is real. It is ugly, and it can be found anywhere. Please – if you’re having trouble, don’t be afraid to reach out for help.
Tell people how wonderful they are and that you are there for them no matter what. Don’t wait until it’s too late.
Farewell, Mr. Williams. Thank you for all the laughter and for sharing your creative genius with us all. You will certainly be missed.